Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Michelle's Guilty Pleasure


Venice Pizza's Hot Veggie Sub Review
Brought to you by Canada


I admit that I’m somewhat of a foodie.  What can I say? I like good eats.  But I, like so many others, have random guilty pleasures that, despite my snobby palate, I absolutely love indulging. My big ol’ guilty pleasure is the hot veggie sub from Venice Pizza in Dorchester. 

Venice Pizza is a Savin Hill staple and has been around for years. Even Mark Wahlberg, prior to his funky bunch days, was a frequent customer at this little hole in the wall eatery.  Seriously, he used to live right behind the place prior to his life modeling Calvin Klein briefs and you know rapping and funking up the music world.



So Venice Pizza is cash-only, it’s also cheap, fast and one of the only places in Dorchester that sells Fresca.  The sandwich is a sloppy mess of cooked broccoli, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, black olives topped with mayo and provolone cheese all on a white hoagie roll.  Are the veggies fresh? Nope, not even in the slightest. They're definitely frozen and/or canned. The bread doesn’t taste stale but is by no means fresh either.  But I love eating this sandwich. Every few weeks I get a craving for this hot mess of a sub and I enjoy every bite.  Venice Pizza doesn’t skimp on any of the veggies and with each mouthful mounds of veggies fall off the sandwich on to your lap, the paper wrapping, and the floor all while juices run down your arm. It’s super attractive.  And its soooooooooooooo good.  I even got my roommate (who is not a vegetarian) hooked on this sub. Its appeal is definitely not in the way it looks, it’s not in the high caliber of ingredients but it’s simple, hot and a solid comfort eat.

Don’t go out of your way to indulge in Venice Pizza but if you find yourself in Dorchester and need some nourishment quick make your way there. At least try their spicy fries with blue cheese- its a great way to get heartburn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment