Monday, October 22, 2012

A Sunday Debacle That Resulted In Flour's Deliciousness


Flour Bakery + Cafe in the South End

Brought to you by Canada





I’m actually going to begin my sandwich review with a funny little story that occurred when trying to patronize this local eatery, which should demonstrate my level of commitment to sandwiches and how much effort I’m willing to put in to eat at this wonderful establishment

Backstory: Yesterday I took a friend of mine visiting from Austin to the airport for a very, very early morning flight.  That week/weekend I also had very little sleep and was pretty much just functioning off of coffee since about Wednesday.

Funny Little Story: At around 9:30am I suggested that my friends, Tina and Kelsey, and I meet up at Flour Bakery + Cafe in the South End for morning coffee/breakfast in about an hour.  So we all set off from our different locations and after an hour when we should have made it to Flour already, Tina began texting us letting us know there’s a long wait to get in, and to hurry up because she had a meeting soon.  Not long after we were all sending hurried text messages about our difficulties with trains, transfers etc. Tina pipes up that she just realized she went to a completely different establishment in the South End. I laughed at her silly, silly behavior but less than 30 seconds later I clue in to the fact that I have almost arrived at the Flour location in the Seaport District, rather than the one I suggested and have been to before in South End.  Kelsey, the newest Bostonian out of the three of us, was the only one to make it to the correct location.  After a little more shenanigans on my part, the three of us finally all make it to Flour after two hours of travelling around the city.

The Sandwich:

Since I have this whole “I won’t eat something that used to have a face” thing going on and because I don’t like mushrooms, I usually have to order something that has meat and ask the employees to alter the sandwich a tad for me.  I ordered the brie and chicken sandwich at Flour but asked them to sub in “I don’t know, tomatoes or something” instead of the clucker. Thank god I gave them creative liberties with this! The sandwich was delectable.

Made from bread baked in house, this grilled vegetarian sandwich consisted of melted Brie cheese, roasted red peppers, roasted tomatoes, fresh, raw arugula, and caramelized onions.  Although the lines on the weekend were kind of long, and the woman in front of me took ten years to order her child one bloody chocolate chip cookie, it was well worth the wait to have this sandwich made fresh and tailored to my dietary habits.

The bread was definitely made that day, and was dense, rich and flavorful in itself. The caramelized onions, peppers and tomatoes were sautéed perfectly and the fresh nutty flavor of the arugula worked well with the other rich ingredients. The consistency of the leafy vegetable also contrasted nicely with the other softer cooked ingredients. My only complaint with this sandwich was not enough Brie! I admit to having a mild obsession with Brie, and to most people I’m sure that the sandwich had a healthy amount, but I would’ve liked the strong flavor profile of the Brie to be more evident in the experience.

All in all, this is a great place to go and have lunch, or any of their baked goods. The coffee is always nicely brewed and sitting outside on the sidewalk in South End with good food and good friends is a perfect way to spend a Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment